This extravagant castle of Connecticut brownstone and Amherst stone from
Ohio was built for Potter Palmer, owner of Chicago's famous Palmer House
Hotel. The architects were Henry Ives Cobb (formerly of Peabody and
Stearns) and Charles S. Frost. The exterior was completed in 1883, but work
on the lavish interiors continued for another two years. Some of the larger
rooms were done by Herter Brothers of New York City. A multitude of exotic
woods were utilized throughout the castle to help make a strong artistic
and social statement as to the ways and means of its owner. The castle also
had one of Chicago's earliest domestic elevators. The basic footprint of the
building covered an area of approximately 80' x 56'. Mr. Palmers's castle
stood at Lake Shore Drive and Banks St. until it was torn down in 1950.
Go here for more information about the
To return to this page, click on the BACK button.
Back to "Castles of the United States"
Picture and information courtesy of Phil Bilzor.