Ericstan Castle was built for Mr. J.J. Herrick, who made his fortune
through the ownership of steamships. The granite castle was designed by
Alexander Jackson Davis in 1855. It was located on Marymount Avenue, just
north of Carrollcliff Castle (Tarrytown Castle), overlooking the Hudson
River. The house featured a round parlor with an elaborate vaulted ceiling,
modeled after an English chapterhouse.
Ericstan Castle passed through a succession of owners, eventually becoming
a school for women from 1890 through 1933. It was destroyed in 1944 for
Back to Home Page
Picture and information courtesy of Phil Bilzor.