CEDAR LAWN CASTLE
Alexander Jackson Davis designed "Cedar Lawn" castle for importer August C.
Richards in 1875. Davis had designed "Woodcliff" castle for Mr. Richards
20 years before, in 1855. Both castles overlooked the Hudson River.
"Cedar Lawn" castle was located on the Hudson, north of Irving Cliff, just
off of Broadway. It was originally named "Ridgeview", but was re-named
"Cedar Lawn" by subsequent owner Issac Stern in the early 1900's after a
radical alteration turned it from a stone villa into the crenellated "Rhine
castle" seen in the photo. The castle has been demolished.
Back to Home Page
Picture and information courtesy of Phil Bilzor.